Ban the bag
Say no to single use plastic bags
“In Europe in 2010, 8 billion of single use plastic bags ended up in the environment.”
Single use plastic bags : key facts
• In Europe, 87 billion single-use plastic bags are used per year.
• Each European uses an average of 175 single-use plastic bags per year.
• 1 second of manufacture from oil. 20 minutes of use. Up to 400 years of decomposition in nature.
What can you do on a daily basis?
Refuse all single use bags
Many alternatives to plastic bags are emerging, however these solutions remain harmful to the environment and send a misleading message to consumers:
• Biodegradable bags: they meet a standard that ensures their degradation in industrial conditions only. These bags do not degrade in the environment.
• Oxodegradable bags: harmful additives are added to accelerate their fragmentation.
Have more than one trick in your bag
Get the message across!
Let's get involved at all levels
Good practices against plastic bags are not just for citizens. Shops, cities, also have the opportunity to make the right choices.
Local authorities are key actors on this issue, since they have the capacity and power to act locally. Learn about good practices and concrete examples of policies to act and reduce the consumption of plastic bags.
Shopkeepers have a pioneering role in distributing single-use bags to their customers. To offer a future free from plastic bags, many of them have decided to take up the challenge. Find out what to do as well as examples of good practices adopted by shopkeepers to drive positive change.