Media Relations Manager
Media Relations Manager
Surfrider Foundation Europe is a non-profit organization whose purpose is to protect and showcase the importance of the ocean, waves, coastlines and their communities. The organization counts more than 13 000 members and is active in 12 European countries through 45 local chapters.
For the past 30 years, the organization has been developing programs around 3 axis: marine litter, water quality and public health, coastline management and climate change. To reach its goals, the organization focuses on research, educative and fieldwork activities, but also legislative and lobbying actions.
To support the Communications Department, Surfrider Foundation Europe is recruiting a Media Relations Manager for a 12-month contract, which may evolve into a permanent position. The candidate will ideally reside in Madrid; however, flexibility will be given to candidates applying from another major European capital city.
Within the European communication team, under the management of the Communication Manager, your responsibilities will be:
- Be proactive on the European Media relations strategy by considering stakes from institutional communication, lobbying communication and projects’ communication.
- Manage operational actions within PR strategy: identify suppliers, prepare tools and/or coordinate their creation, organize media event, media training, etc.
- Cultivate and enhance collaborative working relationships within National and European media community, from the identification of potential partners, to the set-up and follow-up of collaborations.
- Support the lobbying team with the organization’s influence strategy’ through Media relations; ensure link between the communication and lobbying teams on these topics.
- Set-up « crisis » Media relations actions in the event of environmental disasters or political changes.
- Train and support local action teams to strengthen efficiency of their fieldwork PR actions.
- Manage daily relationships with media; address questions, prepare language elements, organize interviews, record press review, etc.
- Follow Media KPIs, adjust actions and make assessments.
- Contribute to all European communication team activities, taking part in all on-going projects.
- MS Degree in Media relations and Communication
- At least 5-10 years of experience in Media Relations, especially institutional and lobbying, ideally within an NGO.
- Excellent written and spoken levels of both French and English. Another EU language would be a plus.
- Independence, self-initiative and proactivity
- Strong agility, teamwork and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge and interest for NGO and environmental subjects
- 12-month contract, possible evolution to a permanent contract at the end of the 12-month period
- Remuneration: pending on experience
- Starting in December 2020
- Location: ideally Madrid. Possibility to work from another European capital city, to be specified in the application
- Regular business trips in Europe to be expected
Application to be done in French and English (Resume + Cover letter) before September 25th, 2020 to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org with « Contract Media Relations » as e-mail’s heading.
Interviews will be conducted in October at the organization’s headquarters in Biarritz (France).