European Outreach Officer
European Outreach Officer
Surfrider Foundation is a worldwide non-profit organisation dedicated to “defending, saving, promoting and managing in a sustainable manner the ocean, the coastline, waves and the people who enjoy them”. Surfrider Foundation Europe is the European member of Surfrider’s International network which is represented on the five continents. Founded in 1990 in Europe (Biarritz), it gathers today a network of 1,500 volunteers, 13,000 members, about 45 local chapters and over 120,000 supporters across Europe. The organisation is mainly working on 3 issues : marine litter, water quality and health, coastal development and climate change. It conducts research, education, awareness-raising and information activities, grassroots and event-driven mobilisation, as well as legal and lobbying actions.
Surfrider Foundation Europe is seeking a European Outreach Officer based in Brussels (Belgium), to expand and consolidate Surfrider’s visibility, reputation and network of partners over Europe, in particular representatives of the European institutions in the different EU member States, in close relationship with Surfrider’s chapters and offices.
He/she works alongside the EU affairs officer in Brussels and the rest of the Surfrider Lobbying team, under the supervision of the Manager of the Lobbying department. He/she will support SFE channelling role between decision makers and its local and national representations and will help to empower Surfrider local groups in Europe.
The role involves network strengthening, consulting, outreach and capacity development. One of its first priorities will be to promote actions carried out at local or national level over Europe by staff and volunteers with European stakeholders and liaise with institutional actors in the different EU countries where Surfrider runs activities. He/she will help to provide the EU institutions with experience and feedback from the field – both from Surfrider chapters and offices to enable Surfrider to progress in its whistle-blower role. The EU outreach officer will provide key support in coordinating and tracking the engagement of the volunteers in policy discussions.
Highlight local actions of Surfrider Europe Volunteers network to EU stakeholders
- Work closely with the organisation’s mobilization and volunteer network department to retrieve the information relevant to be shared to EU stakeholders (mobilizations, event, locals conflicts or environmental threat, coastal defenders cases, volunteers or Ocean community opinion)
- Inform the European Commission and targeted decision makers including Members of the European Parliament of the actions Surfrider chapters are carrying out on the ground, through powerful formats (mailings, letters, newsletters.
- Train the organisation’s various offices and volunteers on the European decision-making process, its policies and instruments
- Provide tools and facilitate volunteers’ participation in European consultations on issues within Surfrider work programme
- Help to get impactful information from volunteers on the implementation of EU Environmental policy, in particular on problems of implementation, break of legislation in the Member States, etc
- Help to support the correct and ambitious implementation of EU Environmental policy through supporting the involvement of Surfrider chapters in campaigns, exchange of best practices, etc
- Use appropriate means and channels to voice their concerns and to ensure their democratic representation vis a vis the EU institutions
Shaping EU policies
- Channel Surfrider chapters’ views to the EU by participating in the drafting of positions and answers to consultations
- Support, when needed, the representation of the organisation’s interests in Brussels on coastal management and climate change, including shipping, through public relations, policy inputs, coalition building, meetings, engaging with expert groups, etc
- Support the search for EU funding, helping to draft answers to call for proposals and report to partners and funders
Skills and Experience
Education: Advanced degree or equivalent to a master’s Level – Political Science, Law, European Affairs, Public Affairs – 2-year experience at least in grass root organisations or liaising with the EU institutions
- Easy to communicate with
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills
- Proven knowledge and experience of European institutions and the functioning of the EU
- Organised and rigorous
- Ability to be a leader and to be output-driven
- Skilfulness and tenacity
- Ability to work well under own initiative and within a team
- Fluent in English & French is essential; Ability to speak a 3rd European language a plus
- Knowledge and interest in marine and coastal environment conservation
- Availability to travel in France and in Europe
- Good knowledge of the work in NGOs
- Previous experience in an advocacy or campaigning civil society organisation, particularly experience in network coordination, outreach and/or capacity building.
- Project management
- Good knowledge of European funds
Salary : starting from 1864,48€ gross monthly depending on professional experience + cover of travel expenses for public transportation up to 50%
Location : Belgium – Brussels. Our Brussels office is located in a privileged working environment in Mundo B, in contact with many other environmental organisations.
Start Date: December 2019
Full Time (38h) position with a 1-year fixed term contract under Belgian law.
Please send your application in both French and English (CV and cover letter) in attachment to Antidia Citores at firstname.lastname@example.org with “application Brussels office” in the subject of your email.
The closing date for applications is Friday November 15th, 2019, noon. Interviews will be held on November 22nd in Brussels. Your application must specify your exact availabilities.